Monday, September 28, 2009

I Was Like HUH?

As I was getting comfortable in my hotel room on Saturday night I decided to surf through the channels a little. I came across SNL and was delighted to enjoy a little evening humor. Soon after I stopped 'Touching that dial' a skit began that used a whole lot of the word 'freakin.' At some point I was certain I heard a different word with like syllables. Alas, this across my news feed this morning

NEW YORK (AP) -- Nabbing Megan Fox to host the season premiere of "Saturday Night Live" wasn't the only bang for the start of the season. There was also an F-bomb.
Newcomer Jenny Slate let the dreaded word slip during a parody of a talk show by biker women. The sketch was laden with tough talk from its three characters, but the most objectionable word was substituted with an inoffensive stand-in for that vulgarity.
Then, midway through the sketch, Slate slipped and said the word.
The sketch continued with no interruption or further slip-ups.
NBC declined to comment on the incident, other than to say the word had been restored to "freakin'" for the show's replays in western time zones.
The sketch aired live at about 12:40 a.m. Eastern, well after prime time, when use of expletives can be punished by the FCC.

I of course immediately turned off the TV so as not to pollute my mind with such vulgarities. In other news, the Norton Family is having the worlds largest garage sale. That is I retrieve items from my attic, and put them in my garage, I then proceed to list them on Craigslist at fire sale prices, slowly but surely people are driving from all around the area to come take advantage of the bargain.

The last time we moved we essentially did it ourselves with the help of Amy's Parents. I remember being exhausted when we packed the moving van, and thinking we were nearly done -- then alas, someone accidentally mentioned the attic. It was awful -- we were hot and sweaty (at midnight of course in Oklahoma) and now I had to crawl into this God forsaken part of our house and unload it. I distinctly remember proclaiming that NOTHING was going in the attic of our new house!

Fast-forward three years, out attic has so much stuff in it I can hardly walk around. I had to put more decking up there last year just so we could have room for all of it. It was just a fact of life -- Amy allowed my little charade of no attic usage for about a year, but it got really old moving all of this crap we didn't know what to do with from the guest room to the office and back repeatedly. So alas, its been in the attic for two years and its on its way out!

Amy has decided to sell her scooter, you will recall it has brought much humor to the Houston area as I've taken to riding it to work in the last couple of years. It turns out that the baby seat won't attach to it, and the 'cuteness' factor does little good it she can't ride it - so it too has found its way on Craigslist.

My Birthday is tomorrow -- the big 30, Amy, Claire and I are spending the next two days together celebrating, although right now everyone and their dog is asleep (sans me), surely they are resting for the festivities to come!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday, Steve!!! From your "long lost cousins" (the special ones, haha) in Oklahoma