Friday, October 8, 2010

Love makes sacrifices

“Life can be hard.  But what we usually mean is that our life can be hard.  But too often the only way we notice that life is hard for our mate is when they start complaining about it.  Then instead of genuinely caring or rushing in to help, we might think they just have a bad attitude.  But love makes sacrifices.  It keeps you so tuned in to what your spouse needs that you often respond without being asked.  Love inspires you to say “no” to what you want in order to say “yes” to what your spouse needs.  Let love pick you up out of your self-pity and turn your attention to your spouse’s needs.  Love is willing to make sacrifices to see that the needs of your spouse are given your very best effort and focus.”

Today’s Dare:  What is one of the greatest needs in your spouse’s life right now?  Is there a need you could lift from their shoulders today by a daring act of sacrifice on your part?  Whether the need is big or small, purpose to do what you can to meet the need.

Steve and I take great care of each other.  For example, I was recently diagnosed with severe scoliosis.  I am undergoing treatment three times a week to correct it.  This process is somewhat painful and uncomfortable as my spine moves around and my nerves are causing muscle spasms in different parts of my body.  Steve has stepped up to make sure that I lift nothing (other than Claire – and not even her if he’s around).  He gets my ice pack for me every evening and warms my heating pack for me when I’ve had enough of the ice.  He applies the muscle rub when I need it, even though he hates the smell and the hot and cold feelings that follow.  He takes such good care of me, even though it means a little more work for him after a full day of work at the office.  Steve’s sacrifices definitely make me feel loved and valued.  Thank you, Steven, for taking care me – not just now, but always.  I love you!

Just FYI:  For those of you who haven’t heard about my recent diagnosis, it’s nothing to worry about.  It most likely is a result of the car accident I was in 11 years ago.  (I was rear-ended.  I was sitting still waiting for the car in front of me to turn left.  A truck, who was still accelerating, rear-ended me, causing me to hit the car in front of me.  My car was totaled, and I felt like I was too.)  Two weeks ago, my left arm went numb; so I went to the emergency room.  Shortly after we arrived, the feeling came back.  After they made sure that I wasn’t having a heart attack or stroke, they ran a huge battery of tests.  They determined that I had a pinched nerve in my neck and referred me to a neurologist.  I, choosing to go my own way, made an appointment with a chiropractor.  They took additional x-rays and did a nerve scan.  One’s spine should not have a curve more than two degrees, mine has three curves – the one in my neck is six degrees, the one between my shoulder blades is 11 degrees and the one in my lower back is eight degrees.  The one in my neck is pinching the nerve, causing the muscle spasms and numbness, etc.  The chiropractor is adjusting me three times a week, and my spine is responding well.  I’ve had four treatments so far, and I’m already taller.  And I get free massages, courtesy of the insurance company (as part of my therapy).  The complete treatment will take approximately 10 months – once the curvatures have been corrected, I’ll continue going in once a week until my muscles are trained to hold my spine in place.  During this process, I am achy and my muscles spasm occasionally and are tender to the touch.  This is temporary, and I am getting better.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Poor Amy! Although I'm glad they figured out the issues and you are getting better. Heck, I'd love to be a little bit taller...;)