Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm still laughing (with them)

It's not really nice to laugh AT people; so I try not to, especially as a reverend. I have a certain ethical standard to adhere to. I prefer to think that I am usually laughing WITH people.

Amy's first ski adventure, for example, was very, very funny indeed. It took nearly an hour just to get to the chair lift because there was a vicious cycle of her falling, us laughing and repeat, repeatedly.

I've figured out a sure-fire way to know that you are getting old - when you fall and people no longer find it funny, you're probably getting old.

At a family reunion last year, my mother-in-law was sitting in a lawn chair that just broke right underneath her. Amy and I looked over and saw only her feet straight up in the air in the most cartoonish style. It was funny. We all laughed. She isn't old.

But when 90-year-old Great Grandma falls, we wonder about the integrity of her hips. She is old.

All that being said, I promise I'm not making fun of these people. We all have a job to do. I would do a lot of things for money; but these poor people - seriously! - hurricane reporters. I have to think that the reporters sent out to cover hurricanes live-on-the-scene are probably not liked very much. While there is no reason to fire them, there is hope that they will quit. If I were sent out to cover a hurricane, it wouldn't be because they didn't like me. It would be because I like an adventure; but that's me. Most people aren't like me. Nonetheless, while covering a hurricane, I would shoot the footage from my hotel room with perhaps the window (at a safe distance) in the background. If I was feeling froggy, I would venture just barely outside the door of a building. But these people - seriously! - we've all seen waves, flying debris, falling trees, falling signs - no hard hat, mind you, just a hat that usually blows off.

Hurricane Dolly (cute name) reached the Texas coast Wednesday morning (yes Amy and I are fine, thank you). So, of course, it's time to weed out some reporters. And they are putting forth a valiant effort. It's just so funny to watch. I found a great video on YouTube of a reporter from Hurricane Katrina. Now come on! When told to report in the middle of the biggest hurricane ever, find a new job!

No comments: