Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Love cherishes

Husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. --Ephesians 5:28

"When you mistreat your mate, you are also mistreating yourself. Your lives are now interwoven together. Your spouse cannot experience joy or pain, blessing or cursing, without it also affecting you. So when you attack your mate, it is like attacking your own body.

It's time to let love change your thinking. It's time for you to realize that your spouse is as much a part of you as your hand, your eye or your heart. She, too, needs to be loved and cherished. And if she has issues causing her pain or frustration, then you should care for these with the same love and tenderness as you would a bodily injury. If he is wounded in some way, you should think of yourself as an instrument that helps bring healing to his life.

Don't let the culture around you determine the worth of your marriage. To compare it with something that can be discarded or replaced is to dishonor God's purpose for it. That would be like amputating a limb. Instead, it should be a picture of love between two imperfect people who choose to love each other regardless.

When you look at your mate, you're looking at a part of you. So treat her well. Speak highly of him. Nourish and cherish the love of your life."

Today's Dare: What need does your spouse have that you could meet today? Can you run an errand? Give a back rub or foot massage? Is there housework you could help with? Choose a gesture that says "I cherish you" and do it with a smile.

When Steve and I got engaged, we agreed that divorce is not an option. When we got married, we took vows that said "till death do us part." We meant it. We mean it still. We will continue to mean it.

I can't imagine my life without Steven. I don't even want to try. I do my best on a daily basis to treat him well. I want him to know that he is loved.

As for the dare, some of these seem a bit redundant for me and Steve. On a daily basis, if Steve sees that I'm tired, he'll entertain the baby and let me do something just for me. If I notice that he's a bit stressed or preoccupied with work, I give him a massage. We both cook, clean and do laundry. We both take care of and play with Claire. We make a good partnership. We work together to keep our home a peaceful, safe, happy and loving place to be. Dares like this one are difficult to say we've completed. I suppose I could point out that Steve took out the trash last night, gave me a massage and played with Claire. I did laundry and cooked dinner and cleaned the kitchen. All of these are normal, everyday events in our household. We take care of each other - always.

Steve - I love you. I cherish you. I am so glad you're mine!

No comments: