Saturday, July 31, 2010

Love is faithful

“As Christians, love is the basis for our whole identity. Our spiritual rebirth came about because “God so loved the world…” [God] showers His favor on us without measure, though in return we often don’t pay attention. A times we have acted shamefully and deemed His love an intrusion, as if it’s keeping us from what we really want. We have rejected Him in many ways – even after receiving His gift of eternal salvation – and yet He still loves us. He still remains faithful. If love is to be like His, it must love even when its overtures are returned unwanted. And for your love to be like that, it must be His love to begin with. You can give undeserved love to your spouse because God gave undeserved love to you – repeatedly, enduringly. Love is often expressed the most to those who deserve it the least. Ask Him to fill you with the kind of love only He can provide, then purpose to give it to your mate in a way that reflects your gratefulness to God for loving you. That’s the beauty of redeeming love. That’s the power of faithfulness.”

Today’s Dare: Love is a choice, not a feeling. It is an initiated action, not a knee-jerk reaction. Choose today to be committed to love even if your spouse has lost most of their interest in receiving it. Say to them today, in words similar to these, “I love you. Period. I choose to love you even if you don’t love me in return.”

Before Steve and I get married, we made the decision that we would love one another no matter what. Neither of us is turning our back on the other. There is nothing that Steve could do that would make me leave him or end our marriage. And I believe that this is returned. As a result, neither of us would ever do anything to hurt the other so badly that we would want to end our marriage.

Steven, I love you, forever, for always, no matter what. I love you with all that I am and all that I ever will be. I love you. Period.

----

Amy, I love you more than anything. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I appreciate you more than you could know!

-Steve

No comments: