Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Love is honorable

"To honor someone means to give them respect and high esteem, to treat them as being special and of great worth. When you speak to them, you keep your language clean and understandable. You are courteous and polite. When they speak to you, you take them seriously, giving their words weight and significance. It is a call to acknowledge the position or value of someone else. Honor is a noble word.

Love honors even when it's rejected. Love treats its beloved as special and sacred even when an ungrateful attitude is all you get in return. Love dares to say, 'Of all the relationships I have, I will value ours the most. Of all the things I'm willing to sacrifice, I will sacrifice the most for you. With all your failures, sins, mistakes and faults - past and present - I still choose to love and honor you.'"

Today's Dare: Choose a way to show honor and respect to your spouse that is above your normal routine. It may be holding the door for her. It might be putting his clothes away for him. It may be the way you listen and speak in your communication. Show your mate that he or she is highly esteemed in your eyes.

Again, Steve and I have always made it a priority in our marriage to show one another honor. Because of this, it was a bit difficult to do something outside of our normal routine. However, we deliberately showed each other honor. When Steve opened my door (which he always does), he told me that he loves me and honors me. When I cooked and did laundry and cleaned the house, I pointed out to him that I do it to honor him. I want him to live in a place he can be proud of. I want him to feel comfortable and be able to relax when he comes home.

Steve - I honor you because of who you are and because of whose you are. You are the head of our home. You are God's, and you are mine. I respect you for the man you are and the place you hold in our home and in my heart. I love you.

No comments: