Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Love takes delight

"It's time to delight in your spouse again, then to watch your heart actually start enjoying who they are. Remember why you fell in love. Accept this person - quirks and all - and welcome him or her back into your heart. If you've been delighted before - which you were when you got married - you can be delighted again. Even if it's been a long time. Even if a whole lot has happened to change your perceptions. The responsibility is yours to relearn what you love about this one to whom you've promised yourself forever."

Today's Dare: Purposefully neglect an activity you would normally do so you can spend quality time with your spouse. Do something he or she would love to do or a project they'd really like to work on. Just be together.

My parents left Sunday morning as we were leaving the apartment on our way to church. Normally, as soon as we got home, I would start washing their sheets and cleaning the house, etc. Instead, I put it off. I spent the entire day on Sunday enjoying my family. The only housework that we did was cooking and cleaning the kitchen. Steve and I watched a movie. We gave each other massages. We relaxed and enjoyed one another.

Steve turned off his cell phone. His phone rings 24-hours a day, seven days a week. He often ignores it when he's at home with me and Claire unless it's his boss or a potential emergency of some sorts. But Sunday he turned his phone off and enjoyed the day with me and Claire.

Even though Steve and I always put each other first, it made a difference when we neglected something for each other.

No comments: